2009年11月16日星期一

What do you do to compensate or say to the Sound Check band?

One thing that's always bugged me about my bands is the difference in level between soundcheck and show. I build my mix based on what I get at soundcheck and then at show, the band plays at a different level/dynamic and I'm scrambling to readjust everything. I usually just pull back my gain pots a couple of clicks but it's just a pain in the rear. Does anybody else have this problem? What do you do to compensate or say to the band?

and Jordan Wolf says:
Well, it depends on the maturity level of the band and its members. If you're working with high schoolers, I doubt you'll have much luck (I haven't).

I always ask (and sometimes tell) them to play just like they are going to during the show. Normally, getting the group to do a few songs before the crowd gets there lets you get a feel for the mix. Plus, if they're going to play loudly, it'll be more likely to happen at that time.

It's a crap shoot, unfortunately. You get what you get...talent, no talent...show volume, no volume... It's combat audio at its best.

Mical says:
I bet sometimes it's the band, more times than not it's "audience absorption factor". Other factors; temperature (especially outdoors), but indoor conditions change alot too. (loading dock doors, AC, AV,etc) It's the nature of the beast and as mentioned - "if it was automatic, you'd be out of a job". You adjust your mix between venues right? Try doing your soundcheck closer to "doors", that should minimize adjustments and verify if it is the band & not the venue. If I read it correctly - the Air Force band is alot of inputs - so I feel your frustrations. Thank god it's not the London Philharmonic, you'd be on suicide watch.

没有评论:

发表评论